Bulldogs beat Tigers 6-1 – University of Georgia Athletics
COLUMBIA, Mo. – The 10th-ranked University of Georgia women’s tennis team defeated the Missouri Tigers 6-1 Friday afternoon in Southeastern Conference action.
“We were encouraged by our doubles play today,” Georgia assistant head coach said Drake Bernstein. “We worked out some details yesterday and we’re really happy to see it translate. Mai did a terrific job coming in and taking her first doubles singles win today, and Lea played a full match against a tough and tricky opponent. It’s great to see Lea enjoying the battle and immersing herself in these matches week after week.”
In doubles, Georgia (12-3, 7-1 SEC) swept Missouri (6-15, 1-7 SEC). The freshman duo and the 47th pair Mell Reasco and Dasha Vidmanova picked up a 6-1 victory over Emelie Schwarte and Elys Ventura, earning the first win of the day in doubles. After taking an early 3-0 lead, the rookie Guillermina Grant and graduated Meg Kowalski outlasted Missouri’s Ellie Wright and Romary Cardenas to win 6-4 and clinch the doubles point.
In singles, the Bulldogs picked up wins from No. 21 Reasco, No. 27 Lea MaNo. 40 Vidmanova, Coppoc and May Nirundorn. Vidmanova cruised to a 6-2, 6-0 win over Elys Ventura to claim the first win of the day for the Bulldogs. They are the best team 13-2 over the double season, including 12-1 in straight sets matches. Vidmanova was quickly followed by Coppoc and Ma who finished simultaneously. Coppoc cruised to a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Emelie Schwarte, while Ma beat Bronte Murgett 6-2, 6-3 to clinch the game for Georgia.
During the match, Reasco defeated Ellie Wright 6-4, 6-2. Reasco has a team record of 21-7 this season. The final victory of the day came from Nirundorn, in his outdoor singles college debut. Nirundorn, a freshman from Bangkok, Thailand, beat Missouri’s Romary Cardenas 6-1, 6-4 in a thrilling one-minute rally. Kowalski dropped the only game of the day for the Bulldogs. She fell to Gabriela Martinez 6-4, 2-6 (10-1).
Next, the Bulldogs travel to Fayetteville, Arkansas to face the Arkansas Razorbacks on Sunday, April 3 at 1 p.m.
Keep up to date with all the latest Bulldogs news and information by following UGA Women’s Tennis on Twitter @UGAWomensTennis, on Instagram @UGAWomensTennis and on Facebook @GeorgiaWomensTennis or check out the news online at georgiadogs.com.
1. #27 Lea Ma (UGA) def. Bronte Murgett (MIZ) 6-2, 6-3
2. #21 Mell Reasco (UGA) def. Ellie Wright (ZIM) 6-4, 6-2
3. #40 Dasha Vidmanova (UGA) def. Elys Ventura (MIZ) 6-2, 6-0
4. Morgan Coppoc (UGA) def. Emilie Schwarte (MIZ) 6-3, 6-3
5. Gabriela Martinez (MIZ) defeats. #71 Meg Kowalski (UGA) 6-4, 2-6 (10-1)
6. May Nirundorn (UGA) def. Romary Cardenas (MIZ) 6-1, 6-4
1. Gabriela Martinez/Bronte Murgett (MIZ) against #12 Morgan Coppoc/Ania Hertel (UGA) 4-4, unfinished
2. #47 Dasha Vidmanova/Mell Reasco (UGA) def. Emelie Schwarte/Elys Ventura (MIZ) 6-1
3. Meg Kowalski/Guillermina Grant (UGA) def. Ellie Wright/Romary Cardenas (MIZ) 6-4