Elon sweeps Hofstra for a pass in the first round of the CAA tournament
ELON, NC – Elon University Volleyball ended its 2021 regular season with a victory, beating Hofstra 3-0 on Saturday, November 6 at the Schar Center.
With the win, the brown and gold clinched a first round pass of the 2021 CAA Championship tournament in two weeks.
“We knew we had to play a lot better today than yesterday to get the win,” said the head coach Tender mary. “Our constant ball control made a huge difference to us and allowed Haylie clark to better distribute the ball. “
Elon 3, Hofstra 0 (25-14, 25-18, 25-12)
The Phoenix (16-10, 11-5 CAA) jumped from a header 3-0 to start the game and did not give up the lead for the remainder of the first set. Lea Daniel started hot with seven decisive wins in the first set, and Sydney love also found success early on with six wins. The defense resisted the pride (13-12, 7-7 CAA) and Elon took a 25-14 victory in the first set.
In the second set, Elon’s front line continued to pour him. Clark orchestrated quick attacks to Nathalie Cummins and Jenn krzeminski as a midfield blocking duo combined for four kills. After keeping the lead from start to finish, it was Daniel who finished the start with a soft-touch kill while Elon got a 25-18 decision.
After a slow start, a service ace by Alex Van Westrienen sparked a 5-0 run in Phoenix midway through the third set. Clarke’s back-to-back service aces brought brown and gold two points from the win at 23-11. Cummins and his senior colleague Julia crabtree then delivered the final blow in their last home game. The Phoenix dominated the final set 25-12 to secure the 3-0 victory and the Hofstra sweep.
Daniel and Love led the Phoenix with 11 assists apiece and Clarke finished with 30 assists. Krzeminski had five kills and led both teams with three blocks, with Love just behind her with two blocks. Cummins contributed seven kills and VanWestrienen and Clark had two serve aces each. Kellyn trowse and Jordan gower led Elon in the digs with 11 and 10, respectively.
âIt was great to see so many family members, former players and loyal fans here this weekend to be a part of the Homecoming festivities,â Tendler added. “Thank you for the support and for being part of our Elon Volleyball family.”
– All-time streak now stands at 10-4 in favor of Pride.
– This is the first time in the series’ history that Elon has beaten Hofstra twice in a season.
– Elon has swept four CAA series this season and has also won his last five home games dating back to October 10.
– The game featured eight draws and five lead changes. The third set included seven draws and five lead changes.
– Elon on Hofstra, .446 – .174.
– The Phoenix beat Pride in total points (50.0-37.0), kills (40-34), assists (37-34), aces on service (6-2), recoveries (36-31) and blocks (4-1).
– Clark continued his streak of games with double-digit assists. She has now reached double the numbers in 51 straight games.
– Clark also eclipsed 600 career digs in the win.
– Daniel has recorded double-digit wins in 18 of the last 19 games.
– Elon ends the regular season 9-2 when playing at the Schar Center.
– The 11 conference wins are the biggest since 2010 when the Phoenix went 11-5 in SoCon.
The Phoenix are out next week and are awaiting league-wide results to determine their tournament standings. The CAA Championship Tournament kicks off Thursday, November 18 at the SECU Arena in Towson.