Hilltoppers hit the road for a series in Florida Atlantic
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – WKU Volleyball number 19 will travel to Boca Raton, Florida to continue their 2021 C-USA schedule against Florida Atlantic on Friday and Saturday. WKU are off to an 18-1 start to the season and have swept their last 11 games. The Tops are 27-0 against the Owls. FAU has won just nine sets in its all-time history.
Both weekend games will be available on CUSA.tv, the home of Conference USA for live events, for fans who choose to subscribe.
As is the case with every Hilltopper game this season, all of the action will also be available on the radio with Brett Williams during the play-by-play call. Both weekend games will be broadcast on ESPN Radio 102.7.
WKU Volleyball’s 39-game conference winning streak is the longest of its kind in NCAA Division I. Texas (28), High Point (24) and Dayton (20) are the only other programs with at least a 20-game winning streak in conference. . The Hilltoppers also have the longest road winning streak in all of NCAA volleyball with 19 straight wins.
average hitter, Lauren Matthews currently leads the country in hitting percentage, with a clip of 0.493, while the team ranks second in the country for hitting percentage (0.338), fifth for opposing strike percentage (0.127) and fourth for the winning percentage (0.947).
The Tops claimed 19th place in this week’s AVCA rankings. They visited the FIU three weekends ago, as well as eastern Kentucky that Wednesday before spending the weekend off. Last week, WKU swept Middle Tennessee at Diddle Arena. Florida Atlantic is coming off a weekend where it split against the CRF, beating the Panthers 3-0 on Friday while losing 0-3 on Saturday.
FAU is off to a 10-11 start for the 2021 campaign and is 2-6 in the C-USA game. In last year’s abridged season, the Hilltoppers and Owls faced off at Bowling Green. WKU won both games, winning two sweeps.
- The Tops have won 39 straight U.S. Conference regular season games, their last loss in October 2018 – the longest streak in all of Division I volleyball.
- The Hilltoppers also have the longest road winning streak in all of NCAA volleyball with 19 straight wins.
- WKU will look to remain undefeated and extend their all-time record against FAU to 28-0
- The Tops have won 39 straight Conference USA regular season games, their last loss dating back to October 2018.
- WKU kept the teams at an average of just 0.127 punching clips. FAU has averaged a 0.182 clip so far this season.
- The Hilltoppers have won 33 straight sets and have lost just five sets all season, including three to Ole Miss – the Tops’ only loss in 2021.
- WKU was predicted to win the Eastern Division in the U.S. Conference preseason poll voted on by league coaches. Paige briggs, Nadia Dieudonne and Lauren Matthews were all selected to the preseason all-star squad. After meeting at last year’s tournament championship, Rice was set to win the West Division again this season.
- Lauren Matthews leads the team in kills this season with 262. Matthews is currently 13th all-time thanks to a Hilltopper at 1,237.
- The Friday and Saturday games will be Tops’ 6th and 7th away games of the season, in which they are 5-0.
- WKU Volleyball is more accessible than ever with radio broadcasts for every game. The Tops are one of 10 Division I volleyball programs that currently have live radio for home and away games.
How to follow WKU Volleyball: For full information on WKU Volleyball, follow the team on Twitter at @WKUVolleyball and head coach Travis Hudson To @TravisHudsonWKU. The team is also on Instagram and Facebook.