IBM unveils new AI and cloud-powered fan experiences for Wimbledon 2022
As an Official Technology Partner of the Championships for 33 years, IBM continues to accelerate innovation at Wimbledon and improve the digital fan experience
June 21, 2022
LONDON, June 21, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — IBM (NYSE: IBM) and the All England Lawn Tennis Club are today unveiling new ways for Wimbledon fans around the world to experience the championships digitally, powered by artificial intelligence (AI) running on IBM Cloud and hybrid cloud technologies. Co-created by the All England Club and IBM for Wimbledon.com and the Wimbledon App, the new features join a full suite of digital fan experiences, including the award-winning app1 IBM Power Index with Watson, IBM Match Insights with Watson and Personalized recommendations and Reels Highlights – all designed to help global audiences stay more informed and engaged with the players, the matches and the tournament.
New features for 2022 include:
- “Winning Factors” brings better explainability to ‘Match Insights’: Building on the existing Match Insights functionality of the Wimbledon app and Wimbledon.com, IBM provides an additional level of explainability of the factors analyzed by the AI system to determine match insights and predictions. Victory Factors provide fans with a better understanding of elements affecting player performance, such as IBM Power Index, Court Size, ATP/WTA Rankings, Head-to-Heads, Games Won Ratio, Net Sets Won , recent performance, annual success , and media expert.
- ‘Have your say’ with a new interactive fan predictions feature: For the first time, users can save their own predictions for match results on the Wimbledon App and Wimbledon.com, via the Have your say characteristic. They can then compare their prediction with aggregated predictions from other fans and the AI. Probability of winning predictions generated by IBM.
The Wimbledon digital features are backed by IBM Watson and take advantage of a hybrid cloud approach – using a combination of on-premises systems, private clouds and IBM Cloud – enabling increased flexibility and efficiency. IBM Cloud provides the foundation and scalability for these digital experiences. It hosts and processes match data that is fed into AI models built using IBM Watson Studio and IBM Watson Discovery to produce information for fans, commentators and the media.
Alexandra WillisDirector of Communications and Marketing, The All England Club, said: “Leveraging technology to help fans be more informed, engaged and involved throughout the Wimbledon Fortnight is central to our strategy to ensure we leverage innovation to keep Wimbledon relevant and deliver exceptional digital experiences to fans, wherever they are. In partnership with IBM, we are excited to bring an even more dynamic and interactive digital experience to fans around the world this year as Wimbledon returns to full capacity. At the heart of these experiences is our ambition to help fans connect with Wimbledon by understanding which players to track and analyze, and engaging them with new prediction and match insights features, as well as of our extensive ratings, news and video content across our channels.”
Kevin FarrarHead of Sports Partnerships, IBM UK & Irelandsaid: “The digital fan features of the Wimbledon app and Wimbledon.com, beautifully designed by the IBM iX team and powered by artificial intelligence and hybrid cloud technologies, allow the All England Club to immerse tennis fans into the magic of the Championship no matter where they are in the world. Sports fans love to debate and we are delighted to introduce a new tool this year to enable this by allowing people to record their own match predictions and compare them with predictions generated by Match Insights with Watson and those of other Fans’.”
As an official technology partner of the championships for 33 years, IBM has developed solutions to modernize and streamline workloads, and delivered innovative digital experiences to engage sports fans around the world through IBM iX, the design arm of IBM Consulting experience. Leveraging the same technologies IBM uses with companies across industries and around the world, Wimbledon continues to accelerate innovation and improve the digital experience for fans. The full suite of digital experiences powered by IBM on Wimbledon.com and the Wimbledon App includes:
- IBM Power Index with IBM Watson
- AI-powered player performance analysis to help fans know who to follow beyond the most well-known and top-ranked players.
- Uses IBM Watson Discovery and IBM Cloud for analyze performance data, analyze media commentary and measure player momentum.
- Produces information for fans, including To monitor and one Probability of winning probability.
- IBM Match Insights with IBM Watson
- Uses AI to spawn a player fact sheet for main draw singles matches, present player information, present the IBM Power Index and winner predictions.
- Has an “In the Media” section that leverages IBM Watson Discovery to extract key player information from trusted news sources.
- Includes a “By the Numbers” section that uses open-source AI to translate historical match stats into player insights.
- New this year – users can save their own predictions for match results on the Wimbledon application and Wimbledon.comthrough the Have your say characteristic.
- Personalized Recommendations and Highlight Reels
- Once a fan has decided who to follow via the IBM Power Index, they can stay informed through a series of personalized reels recommendations and highlights.
- This allows fans to discover new players by making suggestions based on their current level. favorite players, IBM Power rankings, top players, country and age.
- Includes links to other features such as the IBM Power Index Ranking and Match Insights with Watson. If you are registered with myWimbledonyou will receive personalized highlights based on the players you follow.
The Wimbledon Championships will take place from June 27 – July 10, 2022. To see the technology in action, visit Wimbledon.com or download the Wimbledon app to your mobile device, available on the App Store and Google Play Store.
1 The All England Club and IBM have been awarded ‘Best Fan Engagement by a Brand’ at the Sports Technology Awards 2022