More than 450 families are coming forward to take part in the review of Nottingham University Hospitals’ inadequate maternity services

More than 450 families and dozens of staff have now come forward to take part in a review of inadequate maternity services at Nottingham hospitals.

A review of maternity incidents, complaints and concerns at Nottingham University Hospitals Trust was announced last year following a series of deaths and injuries to babies at Queen’s Medical Center and the Hospital of the city of Nottingham.

The local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and NHS England are jointly leading the ‘thematic review’, which started in October 2021.

Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham. (55928373)

Health care watchdog the Care Quality Commission re-inspected the hospital’s maternity wards last month, having previously deemed them inadequate.

It was revealed last month that the number of families who had come forward to be part of the GCC review had quadrupled in two weeks, from 84 to 387.

As of April 6, 461 families have come forward, the GCC told the Local Democracy Reporting Service – marking an increase of 74 families since March 22.

The GCC said 68 maternity ward staff also came forward.

The review team said in March that the increase in the number of families coming forward was “directly linked to social media advertising, which encouraged families wishing to share their experience of maternity services to contact us through our website”.

But bereaved parents have expressed concern that the review is not doing enough to encourage more families to participate six months into the process.

As part of the review, data from complaints, incidents, investigations, compliments, board documents, committee reports and internal/external reviews are analyzed.

Feedback sessions for families are available by phone or video call, or they can write about their experiences.

The review will cover information dating back to 2006 and is expected to be completed by November 30, 2022.



Comments are closed.